Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Activity #6: YouTube

This activity was to explore YouTube, find a video of interest and post it to my blog, and to consider ways elements of YouTube could be applied to library websites.

Of course like practically everyone else I am familiar with YouTube. Even if it is only to watch videos of adorable sneezing pandas. But, occassionally one stumbles onto content which is instructional or informative.

Case in point, I found a video which I think is particularly apropo for this blog posted by the Library of Congress. The video is...
"Voices TV: Featuring the Library of Congress' Flickr Strategy"
The video details the LC's use of Flickr to showcase their photograph collections. The hosts speak about the use of Flickr as a way to increase awareness about their photography collections. Interestingly, they also discuss how the choice to make content available on a site like Flickr was a way to gain experience using Web 2.0 to the libraries advantage.
Pretty cool!

But, back to YouTube...
Libraries could definitely use videos to reach out to patrons. Especially, now that so much of the libraries materials are digital or technology based resources. I work at the circulation desk in a library and the vast majority of questions are related to technological issues. I've been surprised at the amount of patrons who aren't comfortable with the online catalog let alone navigating the databases.

Libraries could easily upload instructional videos to their websites to more clearly and easily guide patrons through the intricacies of online tools.

Another way libraries could incorporate YouTube qualities into their websites would be to post videos about unique things going on there. For instance, a library that houses particularly rare or locally significant historical archives could create videos or a series of videos about their collections.

No comments:

Post a Comment