Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Activity #1: Blogging and Lifelong Learning

The first exercise is to set up a blog and try out a few initial postings. Done!
My initial trepidation with all things technological has been eased. I was pleasantly surprised by how clearly explained and uncomplicated the process was. Even for an admitted computerphobe like me.

I have never subscribed to a blog (except for the library blogs required for my LIS 5020 class) and have generally considered them to be indulgent. But I did not realize the prevalence of blogs dedicated to actual issues or the role they play in professional communities.

This leads me to the second part of this activity...lifelong learning. While I consider myself a person who values learning and the lifelong pursuit thereof I do resist learning about anything computer related. I tend to become frustrated easily and I think it's entirely possible that electronic devices cease to work properly in my presence.

Which brings me to the first lifelong learning habit that does not come quite so easily for me, to "view problems as challenges."
For me problems become challenges after the fact when everything has worked out well. But of course this sets up obstacles from the get go...so I'll work on that.

The habits that do come more easily are to set goals ("Begin with the end in mind") and to "accept responsibility for my own learning." Simply put because otherwise nothing would get done.

And perhaps the one that resonates the most with me is that it is never too late and you're never too old to learn. Wouldn't it be sad if we all just quit learning new things once we reached a certain age or achieved a certain milestone?

No comments:

Post a Comment