RSS Feeds are a revelation!
I was largely unfamiliar with RSS feeds but now that I have set up my page on Bloglines I have seen the light.
So... the activity involves learning a bit about how RSS feeds work, setting up an account on Bloglines, and subscribing to 10 feeds. Again I became a bit frustrated because apparently my husband has installed every spy ware mechanism possible on the computer. Then it took me a while to figure out that widgets aren't the same as RSS feeds. So I have ten widgets and ten RSS feed.
Once I figured out how to subscribe to the feeds that I wanted I became really excited about the format. The RSS feeds I chose are from news sources I regularly read anyway except streamlined and without all the adds and distractions. It's so simple and concise. I suppose that's why they call it "Really Simple Syndication".
So the ten RSS feeds I subscribed to are:
CM Library Readers Club
Bay News 9
NPR
The Hayden Planetarium
Al Jazeera
Scientific American
BBC
Reddit
White House.gov Blog
The New York Times
I also like the widgets because I have all my interests together on one page. I don't have to visit each website separately.
There's an awful lot of information out there nowadays which is a wonderful thing, but I like that the RSS feeds condense everything for you. I think it helps to keep us more informed in a more efficient way.
No comments:
Post a Comment