So I went to YouTube and typed in "Information Literacy".
It yielded 4,250 results.
A quick perusal revealed there are a substantial amount of really good videos dedicated to information literacy. The topics range from explaining IL and why it's important, to instruction, to tutorials for students. The biggest focus seems to be on evaluating sources, critical thinking, and how to find credible sources.
Of course, the biggest advantage to YouTube is probably the ease of accessibility. Even though younger students are becoming more and more tech savvy YouTube is still a format that practically everyone is familiar with and comfortable using. And while podcasts are great for audio learners some students need visuals.
Libraries can make their own videos tailored to the information literacy needs of their patrons. IL teachers can do the same.
One area I find interesting is the potential for teaching adult information literacy in a public library environment.I think it's an intriguing challenge but an opportunity to help adults become more familiar and confident with technology. It's also a really great service the public library could provide for free to the community
No comments:
Post a Comment