Thursday, May 26, 2011

Wikis...

This activity involves discovering what wikis are and how libraries are using them.

Confession:
When I hear wiki I immediately think Wikipedia. So my gut reaction is that wikis are bad because Wikipedia is bad. Bad in so far as students using it as a source in their work. 

But, as with everything else Web 2.0 I have had my assumptions challenged.
So wikis are collaborative websites which have all kinds of uses and applications.
The first thing that is awesome about wikis is that one doesn't have to be a computer programmer to figure it out. Which is good because although technology is central to librarianship in many ways most librarians are not IT people.
Some cool things about wikis for libraries is that they can be set up for different purposes. Some have wikis for pathfinders, subject guides, book clubs, so on and so forth. I think this seems like a great tool for public libraries to use for community building and for children' programs.I also like that they can be completely open or set to different levels of restriction on who can edit content. 

An article by Meredith Farkas (http://www.webjunction.org/technology/web-tools/articles/content/438229) details how libraries are also using wikis internally to provide a sort of information hub accessible by staff. 
I can really relate to this because at the library where I work we get e-mails about everything. The library also has a folder for policy information etc.. but it's only accessible from a computer in the library and requires a separate log in and takes forever when trying to figure something out quickly. A library wiki for staff would be perfect to cut down on e-mails (which are all flagged high importance!) and put all the info that we might need to consult at some point in a more organized and stable format than 300 e-mails.

No comments:

Post a Comment