Social Networking...I think we are all familiar with it by now. Who or what doesn't have a Facebook page nowadays?
I work in a small academic library and the office manager has a Facebook page she uses to keep in touch with all the student assistants. I think that concept could be expanded to a forum for all students to have access to library information and resources.
Since I am already familiar with FB I poked around a Ning page for Law Librarians. Ning is a nifty platform for professionals to create a site. It allows for groups, photos, blogging, videos. While it isn't completely free for small groups up to 150 members it only costs $2.95 a month or $19.95 a year.
The site I looked at can be found at
http://lawlibraries.ning.com/
My first impression is that this is a great tool for librarians and Information Literacy teachers to network, collaborate, and share ideas. There are multiple group pages for local librarians, various topics, and issues. They have an Information Literacy group where members can contribute and comment on teaching legal research skills.
I thought this was a great way to have a dialogue about ways to teach IL and to learn from each others experiences.
No comments:
Post a Comment