So what have I learned...a lot.
The first time around Web 2.0 was so foreign to me that this activity contributed to several mini breakdowns and embarrassing tantrums. But in the end I'm glad for it because I discovered that I had erected so many mental road blocks to unfamiliar technologies that I was in danger of becoming a techno-phobe. I found out that most of the Web 2.0 platforms out there make it very easy and I had caused myself frustration for no reason.
I was also forced to confront my tendency to be inflexible. And as they say awareness is half the battle. So now even though it may a format or service I will never use I realize I owe it to myself and have an obligation to the future library patrons I will serve to be knowledgeable and skilled.
As for Information Literacy, I think it is central to any and all librarianship. There are so many resources available to us as teachers and learners. And Web 2.0 allows us to be really creative in making information literacy compelling and interesting. It seems like we live in a world saturated with information but it can really challenging to filter through it. Ultimately, the information is only as good as our ability to find and critically evaluate it.
Like the old adage...
Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.
I say...
Give a person the information and you feed their mind for a day. Teach a person to find the information and you feed their mind for a lifetime.
Or something like that :)
No comments:
Post a Comment