Saturday, June 11, 2011

Are iphone Apps Web 2.0?

So, I mentioned before that my Uncle works for a school and that they abandoned Second Life. He also mentioned that they use an iphone Algebra App.

So, are Apps part of Web 2.0? I think they might be, but they are not included in the 23 Things Web 2.0 activities. Nonetheless, my curiosity has been piqued!

I am sadly sans smart phone. So a Google search was in order. One website listed the best education apps which were all aimed at what I assume are toddlers, i.e. learning the alphabet, matching games. Which begs the question do 3 year olds have iphones now?

But, there are also apps for astronomy, building flashcards, foreign languages, math, spelling, even to help organize homework assignments. Some are free others range from $.99 to $4.99.

Why not an Information Literacy App?

1 comment:

  1. My Kindergarten age daughter uses iPads in the classroom and a number of apps are catered specifically to the coursework there. My three year old also is quite adept at using the iPad as well. They do not actually have their own iPhones of course, but the apps do come in handy while waiting in a restaurant or in the car.
    I have also seen a new app for the iPhone where you can scan a bar code at the bookstore for a book that looks interesting and it will automatically reserve that book for you at your local library. It is amazing what the apps can do these days.

    ReplyDelete